Tallulah’s Kitchen… Shortbread
Hello and a festive welcome to this December’s edition of The Listing. This month I would like to share with you a recipe for shortbread. This is a quick and simple treat, perfect for those unexpected visitors and ideal as a little seasonal gift, although sadly I am unable to say how long this will keep as the Christmas fairy always seems to snuffle it away within two days of me baking it….however well I try to hide it!
30x23cms baking tin
230g plain white flour
100g dried semolina
230g butter cubed and at room temperature
100g white caster sugar
Plus 1 tbsp of caster sugar to sprinkle on top
- Pop all the ingredients (with the exception of the extra 1tbsp of sugar) into a food processor and blitz until it begins to bind and all come together.
- At this point, use your hands to gently bring the mixture to a smooth dough. It is not necessary to knead the mixture like bread, just to ensure the “dough” is mixed thoroughly.
- Next press the mixture into the tin, smooth to an even finish and prick the surface all over with a fork, and pop this into the fridge to chill until firm.
- Now bake for 35 minutes or until the top is a very pale golden brown.
- Cut portions whilst hot and straight out from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining caster sugar but leave it to cool completely in the tin before handling.
- Enjoy with good company and steaming mugs of tea or, as it is the festive season, why not crack open the mulled wine?
Until next year my fellow foodies…
Tallulah Le Fey