Litlington is a pretty, if quirky, little village with a thriving community spirit at its heart.
Pretty because of its numerous 16th and 17th Century timber framed cottages, some of which remain thatched, surrounded by beautiful open countryside. Quirky because it is home to Cambridgeshire’s first village one-way system, introduced temporarily during World War II, and made permanent in 1971, due to the narrow lanes and increased traffic.
The village has an incredibly interesting history. The Domesday Book valued Litlington at £22 in 1066; the village co-hosted the 355th [or 357th] Fighter Squadron US Air Force during WW2 meaning relatives of US airmen still visit the village and surroundings. A stained glass window commemorates the servicemen in the 12th Century village church. Tony Robinson and the Time Team crew dug up gardens in 2009 to uncover the remains of a “dazzling” Roman villa, also finding pottery (and human remains) from the Iron Age.
Litlington’s population is now very diverse ranging from those working in local farming to a significant population of commuters. The villagers thirst is sated by a pub, The Crown, providing real ale and traditional food. Those who overindulge can be placed in the Village Lock Up until they’re fit to return home! A strong community spirit is shown at the annual Village Fayre where events range from the usual tug-of-war, to the unusual roman chariot race, introduced following the Time Team visit.
The Crown 01763 853859