A building has stood on the site of the impressive red brick 19th century building in the Jacobethan style that is now a residential and dementia care home, since around 1100.
Located next to the Church of St Margaret of Antioch, which gave the care home its name, the current building served as the rectory and is recorded as having many additions made to it from 1831 – 1833 – possibly it was rebuilt following a fire. The architect was an expert in medieval buildings, Anthony Salin, and he applied this expertise to his new buildings and restorations.
The building and its forecourt walls are Grade II Listed and the listing also notes the porch with a part glazed door with a 4 centred arched head and a cross casement, dogleg staircase with barley sugar balusters, capped newel posts & moulded handrail amongst other features.
The parents of the current owner, Thomas Kelly, established Margaret House as a residential care home forty five years ago. A new building has been added to the site, sensitively designed both inside and out. Phylomena House (named after Thomas’ mother) provides residential care for patients with dementia and has an interior carefully planned by a specialist architect to be as restful and welcoming as possible. Similarly, the exterior is designed to complement the existing building and windows and doors have been designed to match.
Margaret House, Church End, Barley,
Info@margarethouse.co.uk, 01763 848272